- Assistant Professor
- 220C Heep
- Undergraduate Education
- B.Sc Natural Resources Engineering-Aquaculture Engineering; Gorgan Agri. Sciences and Natural Resources University , Gorgan, Iran. 2004
- Graduate Education
- M.Sc. Natural Resources Engineering-Seafood Science and Technology, Tarbiat Modares University , Iran 2006
- Ph.D Natural Resources Engineering-Bioprocess Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University, Iran 2010
- Ph.D Biosystems Engineering-Food Engineering, Washington State University , Pullman, Washington 2017
- Startup Builder Award, Virginia Tech IP and Commercialization Office, 2023
- International Travel Award; Virginia Tech CALS Global Program, 2019
- Food, Ag+Health Entrepreneurship Academy Scholarship, UC Davis, 2017
- Arnie & Marta Kegel Endowed Fellowship, Washington State University, 2017
Area of Expertise
Cellular agriculture; precision fermentation; food safety; microbiome; bioprocess engineering; AI-assisted food processing.
- Enhance Sustainability, Resiliency and Robustness in Agri-Food Systems;
- Cellular agriculture and precision fermentation;
- AI-assisted food production, and improving Life Cycle Analysis;
- Insects-based food and feed production;
- Agri-food waste valorization;
- Bioprocess technology and fermentation to enhance the post-biotics quality;
- Nanobubbles and microbial community for enhancing food production;
- Biomaterials and bioplastics;
- Aquaponics and hydroponics;
Support Staff and Students
Arian Amirvaresi, PhD student
Irem Ayla Atli, PhD student
Reyhaneh Sharkarat, Masters student
- Select Publications
- Valencia P, Nuñez S, Valdivia S, Ramírez C, Pinto M, Ovissipour R, Almonacid S. Enhancing the enzymatic nitrogen recovery from salmon frame proteins: Sequential batch strategy. LWT. 2023 Jul 15:115093.
- Nikkhah A, Rohani A, Zarei M, Kulkarni A, Batarseh FA, Blackstone NT, Ovissipour R. Toward sustainable culture media: Using artificial intelligence to optimize reduced-serum formulations for cultivated meat. Science of The Total Environment. 2023 Jun 19:164988.
- Goswami M, Pinto N, Yashwanth BS, Sathiyanarayanan A, Ovissipour R. Development of a cell line from skeletal trunk muscle of the fish Labeo rohita. Cytotechnology. 2023 Jun 1:1-3.
- Zarei M, Ghanbari R, Zainal N, Ovissipour R, Saari N. Inhibition kinetics, molecular docking, and stability studies of the effect of papain-generated peptides from palm kernel cake proteins on angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE). Food Chemistry: Molecular Sciences. 2022 Dec 30;5:100147.
- Batish I, Zarei M, Nitin N, Ovissipour R. Evaluating the potential of marine invertebrate and insect protein hydrolysates to reduce fetal bovine serum in cell culture media for cultivated fish production. Biomolecules. 2022 Nov 16;12(11):1697.
- Banavar A, Amirkolaei SK, Duscher L, Khairunisa BH, Mukhopadhyay B, Schwarz M, Urick S, Ovissipour R. Nutritional Evaluation of Black Soldier Fly Frass as an Ingredient in Florida Pompano (Trachinotus carolinus) Diets. Animals. 2022 Sep 14;12(18):2407.
- Goswami M, Belathur Shambhugowda Y, Sathiyanarayanan A, Pinto N, Duscher A, Ovissipour R, Lakra WS, Chandragiri Nagarajarao R. Cellular aquaculture: prospects and challenges. Micromachines. 2022 May 26;13(6):828.
- Zarei M, Amirkolaei AK, Trushenski JT, Sealey WM, Schwarz MH, Ovissipour R. Sorghum as a potential valuable aquafeed ingredient: Nutritional quality and digestibility. Agriculture. 2022 May 6;12(5):669.
- Shiroodi S, Schwarz MH, Nitin N, Ovissipour R. Efficacy of nanobubbles alone or in combination with neutral electrolyzed water in removing Escherichia coli O157: H7, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, and Listeria innocua Food and Bioprocess Technology. 2021 Feb;14:287-97.