Elsa A. Murano
- Professor, Director of Borlaug Institute, President Emerita
- AGSV Suite 200
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S. in Biological Sciences from Florida International University (1981).
- Graduate Education
- M.S. in Anaerobic Microbiology from Virginia Tech (1987),
- Ph.D. in Food Science & Technology with emphasis on Food Safety from Virginia Tech (1990);
- Inducted into the Meat Industry Hall of Fame
- Maestro of Community Service by Latino Leaders Magazine Maestro Awards
- Inducted into the Miami Dade College Alumni Hall of Fame
- Inducted into the Texas Woman of the Year Hall of Fame
- American by Choice Award given by the Department of Homeland Security
- Inducted into the National Hispanic Scholarship Hall of Fame
- Named one of the 100 Most Influential Hispanics by Hispanic Business Magazine in 2002 and one of 15 Elite Women by Hispanic Business Magazine in 2008.
- Courses Taught
- FSTC 444: Fundamentals of Food Law, a required course for Food Science & Technology undergraduate students
Research and Outreach Focus
As Director of the Borlaug Institute, I oversee implementation of projects focused on enhancing the livelihoods, education, and well-being of small-holder farmers and communities in developing countries.
- Women Scholarship Endowment program in Afghanistan, funded by USAID for $50M.
- Small-scale Irrigation Innovation Laboratory in sub-Saharan Africa, funded by USAID for $13.2M.
- Expanding Climate Resilient Coffee in Central America, funded by USAID for $4M.
- Food-for-Progress Monitoring and Evaluation for Sustainability, funded by USDA for $3.1M.
- Enhancing Productivity of Small Ruminants, funded by USAID for $2M.
- Murano, E.A., H.R. Cross, and P.K. Riggs. 2018. The outbreak that changed meat and poultry inspection systems worldwide. Animal Frontiers. Vol. 8(4):4-8.
- Cole, C., L.M. Dooley, J.R. Sandlin, and E.A. Murano. 2017. Women in international public leadership: impacting foreign direct investment by reducing corruption and increasing investments in healthcare. Adv. Women Lead. 37:48-55.
- Murano, E.A. 2017. Principles of Food Law: A Food Science Perspective. Sentia Publishing, Austin, TX.
- Murano, E.A., and D. K. Waggoner. 2013. Overview of federal and international food safety issues affecting farmers and ranchers. Agricultural Law. 5:1-4. Texas Bar CLE.
- Murano. E.A. 2004. Making Codex more effective. Food Technol. 58(10):100.
- Murano, E.A. 2000. Food Safety in the 21st Century. J. Food Distr. Res. 31(1): 64-67.
Area of Expertise
Food Safety Policy, International Development