- Associate Research Scientist
- Centeq, Room 220M
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S. Food Science, Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina, 1988
- Graduate Education
- M.S. Food Technology-Biotechnology, Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina, 1998
- Ph.D. Nutrition and Food Science, Texas A&M University, 2008
- 2017 “Big Data Training for Translational Omics Research”. Awarded by the NIH BD2K grant. Program at Purdue University. June 2-11, 2017.
- 2015 Mary Swartz Rose Young Investigator Award, American Society of Nutrition (ASN). For meritorious research in nutrition accomplished by within 10 years of postgraduate training.
- 2015 Team Interdisciplinary CAHNRS Award. For significant contributions through an application of interdisciplinary scholarship in research, teaching, and/or extension.
- 2015 Martin Luther King Distinguished Service Award, for increasing participation, persistence, achievement, and graduation of underrepresented minority students and women in the sciences, technology, engineering, math and pre-health disciplines.
Dairy and plant foods bioactive compounds with focus on obesity-related diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer, using in vitro cell culture, in vivo animal models, and human clinical trials.
- Dark sweet cherry effects on the gut microbiota-liver-brain axis. Funded by Cherry Northwest Growers, Washington State Fruit Commission.
- Cheese whey effects on fecal bacteria and intestinal health. Funded by the Build Dairy Program
- Arbizu S, Chew B, Mertens-Talcott S, Noratto G. Commercial whey products promote intestinal barrier function with glycomacropeptide enhanced activity in downregulating bacterial endotoxin lipopolysaccharides (LPS)-induced inflammation in vitro. Food & Function. Forthcoming;
- Noratto G, Layosa MA, Lage NN, Atienza L, Ivanov I, Mertens-Talcott SU, Chew BP. Antitumor potential of dark sweet cherry sweet (Prunus avium) phenolics in suppressing xenograft tumor growth of MDA-MB-453 breast cancer cells. J Nutr Biochem. 2020 May 28;84:108437. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2020.108437. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 32615370.
- Enes B, Moreira L, Toledo R, Moraes M, Moreira M, Hermsdorff H, Noratto G, Mertens-Talcott SU, Talcott S, Martino H. Effect of different fractions of chia (Salvia hispanica L.) on glucose metabolism, in vivo and in vitro. Journal of Functional Foods. 2020 May;
- Lage NN, Layosa MA, Arbizu S, Chew BP, Pedrosa ML, Mertens-Talcott,S.,U,, Talcott S, Noratto G. Dark sweet cherry (Prunus avium) phenolics enriched in anthocyanins exhibit enhanced activity against the most aggressive breast cancer subtypes without toxicity to normal breast cells. Journal of Functional Foods. 2020 January; 64.
- Noratto GD, Murphy K, Chew BP. Quinoa intake reduces plasma and liver cholesterol, lessens obesity-associated inflammation, and helps to prevent hepatic steatosis in obese db/db mouse. Food Chem. 2019 Jul 30;287:107-114. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2019.02.061. Epub 2019 Feb 21. PubMed PMID: 30857678.
- Garcia-Mazcorro JF, Pedreschi R, Yuan J, Kawas JR, Chew B, Dowd SE, Noratto G. Apple consumption is associated with a distinctive microbiota, proteomics and metabolomics profile in the gut of Dawley Sprague rats fed a high-fat diet. PLoS One. 2019;14(3):e0212586. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0212586. eCollection 2019. PubMed PMID: 30870465; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6417679.
- Noratto GD, Lage NN, Chew BP, Mertens-Talcott SU, Talcott ST, Pedrosa ML. Non-anthocyanin phenolics in cherry (Prunus avium L.) modulate IL-6, liver lipids and expression of PPARδ and LXRs in obese diabetic (db/db) mice. Food Chem. 2018 Nov 15;266:405-414. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.06.020. Epub 2018 Jun 5. PubMed PMID: 30381205.
- Garcia-Mazcorro JF, Noratto G, Remes-Troche JM. The Effect of Gluten-Free Diet on Health and the Gut Microbiota Cannot Be Extrapolated from One Population to Others. Nutrients. 2018 Oct 4;10(10). doi: 10.3390/nu10101421. Review. PubMed PMID: 30287726; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6212913.
- Garcia-Mazcorro JF, Mills DA, Murphy K, Noratto G. Effect of barley supplementation on the fecal microbiota, caecal biochemistry, and key biomarkers of obesity and inflammation in obese db/db mice. Eur J Nutr. 2018 Oct;57(7):2513-2528. doi: 10.1007/s00394-017-1523-y. Epub 2017 Aug 16. PubMed PMID: 28815303.
- Garcia-Mazcorro JF, Pedreschi R, Chew B, Dowd SE, Kawas JR, Noratto G. Dietary Supplementation with Raspberry Extracts Modifies the Fecal Microbiota in Obese Diabetic db/db Mice. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2018 Aug 28;28(8):1247-1259. doi: 10.4014/jmb.1803.03020. PubMed PMID: 29943551.
Area of Expertise
Research of dietary compounds and plant phytochemicals that can help human health at two levels of absorption: The upper gastrointestinal tract where they modulate cell signaling pathways to prevent or reverse disease; and the lower intestinal tract where they can change fecal bacteria populations and their metabolites to improve obesity-related and chronic diseases including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.